Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Rachel's ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, July 2, 2012

A Sad Week For Our Pets

We had a little bit of a sad week with the death of one of our chickens. We were dog sitting Sweet Pea and the chickens happened to be roaming the yard. I had been very careful about not letting Sweet Pea out while the chickens were out, but Rachel didn't know. So, she let the dog out and I find her gnawing on one of the newer chickens. I felt so bad for this chicken because it wasn't dead, but looked barely alive. I called the neighbor over to finish her off for me, but she ended up moving once prodded a little bit. I carried her back to the coop and Matt and I put some medicine on her later and kept her in a box on the back porch. She made it for 2 nights and seemed like she was going to be okay, but the third day she didn't even get up and couldn't stand. We decided to let Rachel say goodbye to her and then Matt and another friend killed and buried her in our backyard. We told Rachel she went to chicken heaven and she wasn't hurting anymore. The next day I asked her where the chicken was and she said, "Chic-Fil-A," which gave me a good laugh. Our beta fish, Mr. Henry Roberts, who is over 4 years old is on his deathbed and has looked terrible for a very long time, but now he can hardly swim up to the top to get food and seems vertical most days. I think we are going to flush him soon. I feel bad because Rachel really does love these pets, but I guess it is just part of life.

We got gutters put on the house today and they look great. After the tropical storm, we both saw the need to protect our new roof and it would just help keep the dirt from splattering into our porch. Matt has officially done all of his tasks in the guest room and I am just waiting for some craft supplies to go on sale before I make a window seat. Otherwise, it is done! I love the way it turned out and am excited to have one more room in our house redone. I am still trying to decide on what to do in the nursery, but I will get started on that one soon. Matt had a great time in Kentucky, but he said the work this year was not much fun. He came home to lots of phone trouble because of the tropical storm and worked a ton of overtime last week. I went to the gym a bunch to keep Rachel and I from being bored to death. I am feeling good, but feel really large sometimes. I go to the doctor this Friday for a normal checkup. It is always nice to go to those because at least 4 more weeks has passed. We are getting ready for our beach vacation in the next few weeks and am really looking forward to the break and seeing family! The camera is still broke, so Facebook is the only way I can figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

Rachel is just as wonderful as can be. She is such a good little helper and loves to see what I am doing and get involved. She loves to be outside, but the bugs love her just as much as they do me, so I don't let her stay out too long. We mow the lawn together, pick up sticks in the yard, and hopefully she will help me plant some flowers/bushes soon. I just love her at this age because she is so easy and is eager to learn how to do things for herself. This is great for me because if she learns how to do it now, it is one less person I have to take care of when the baby comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment